Unit standard 974
Diagnose and rectify faults in a car or light commercial vehicle anti-lock braking system (ABS)
Version 4; Level 5; 4 credits
This is an elective unit standard for the Automotive Electrical and Mechanical strand of the National Certificate in Motor Industry (Advanced Technical) (Level 5).
Download full details of unit standard 974.
What is this unit standard about?
This unit standard is for people in the automotive repair industry.
People credited with this unit standard are able to:
- demonstrate knowledge of ABS fitted to cars and light commercial vehicles
- test a vehicle's ABS for faults
- rectify ABS faults.
Should I have completed any other unit standards first?
You must have a Class 1 driver licence.
We recommend that you should have completed unit standard 960 (Diagnose and rectify brake system faults on cars or light commercial vehicles) or be able to demonstrate equivalent knowledge and skills.
How will this unit standard be assessed?
You will be required to:
- prove your theory knowledge of the function, operation and components of ABS fitted to cars and light commercial vehicles
- test a vehicle's ABS for electrical, hydraulic and mechanical faults
- read and interpret system fault codes
- replace faulty components, repair wiring faults and bleed the hydraulic system
- clear fault codes and retest the system
This will involve completing the following types of assessment:
- case study
- workplace report.
Special tools and equipment or range of work required
You will need:
- a scan tool and multi-meter
- access to cars or light commercial vehicles with ABS system faults.
Supporting resources for this unit standard can be found on your ATech® Resources CD.