Unit standard 2321
Diagnose and rectify faults in heavy vehicle or equipment automatic or power shift transmissions
Version 3; Level 4; 8 credits
This is an elective unit standard for the Automotive Electrical and Mechanical strand of the National Certificate in Motor Industry (Advanced Technical) (Level 5).
Download full details of unit standard 2321.
What is this unit standard about?
This unit standard is for people in the automotive repair industry.
People credited with this unit standard are able to:
- test heavy vehicle or equipment automatic or power shift transmissions for faults
- rectify automatic or power shift transmission faults.
Note: This does not include repairs that require the removal and disassembly of the transmission.
Should I have completed any other unit standards first?
Yes, you must have completed unit standard 2319 (Describe the principles and operation of heavy vehicle and equipment automatic transmissions) or be able to demonstrate equivalent knowledge and skills.
You also need to have an appropriate driver licence for the class of vehicle being tested.
How will this unit standard be assessed?
You will be required to:
- test heavy vehicle or equipment automatic or power shift transmissions for faults, noting all outputs and readings
- repair faults and retest the transmission.
This will involve completing a workplace report.
Special tools and equipment or range of work required
You will need:
- hydraulic gauges, a scan tool (depending on vehicles) and multi-meter
- access to heavy vehicles with power shift or automatic transmission faults that can be repaired without having to remove the transmission.
Supporting resources for this unit standard can be found on your ATech® Resources CD.