Unit standard 977
Demonstrate knowledge of, and recommend, automotive component corrosion prevention requirements
Version 4; Level 5; 7 credits
This is a core elective unit standard for the National Certificate in Motor Industry (Advanced Technical) (Level 5).
Download full details of unit standard 977.
What is this unit standard about?
People credited with this unit standard are able to:
- demonstrate knowledge of:
corrosion types and effects
corrosion inhibitor and protection devices
procedures to take to protect automotive components from the effects of corrosion
- recommend corrosion prevention requirements.
Should I have completed any other unit standards first?
How will this unit standard be assessed?
You will be required to:
- prove your theory knowledge of types, causes, and appearance of galvanic, electrolytic and oxidation corrosion on ferrous and non-ferrous metals
- prove your theory knowledge of corrosion inhibitor and protection devices used on engine and body components
- prove your theory knowledge of procedures to be taken to protect automotive components from the effects of corrosion
- identify the need for corrosion protection and the best option to use in a written report.
This will involve completing the following types of assessment:
- case study
- workplace exemplar.
Special tools and equipment or range of work required
Supporting resources for this unit standard can be found on your ATech® Resources CD. The following links may also be useful:
1. Guide to corrosion protection
2. Oxidative corrosion animation (refer to your ATech Resources CD)
3. Galvanic corrosion animation (refer to your ATech Resources CD)
4. Electrolytic corrosion animation (refer to your ATech Resources CD)
5. Cooling system
b. Cooling system maintenance - heavy-duty engines
c. Coolant filtration - compatibility
d. Extended life anti-freeze
6. Corrosion control
a. Fact sheet about prevention of corrosion in historic vehicles